HJ0008 In Senate Committee
Now that HJ0008, Free and Fair Elections, passed the House, it has been assigned to the Senate Corporations Committee, which may be a hostile environment to us. See the language of HJ008 here: https://www.wyoleg.gov/Legislation/2019/HJ0008.
- Bill Landen – Chairman, voted NO on SJ0008 on the floor – need to persuade
- Cale Case – voted NO on SJ0008 on the floor – likely a lost cause
- Charles Scott – voted NO on SJ0008 on the floor – likely a lost cause
- Wendy Schuler – voted NO on SJ0008 on the floor – Has responded positively!
- Tara Nethercott – voted NO on SJ0008 on the floor – need to persuade – opposed to GOP “groupthink”
We need to try and sway three senators in the committee (especially Landen and Nethercott), and should be heard late Thursday (FEb 14!) or next Tuesday. Zwonitzer will introduce the bill to the corporations committee, and argue in favor, but we would like to have as many volunteers as possible show up for the meeting with a button and contact these very important senators this weekend and early next week.
HOW TO CONTACT YOUR SENATORS:
- You can click their name above to load a page with their info on it.
- We have created a web page where you can find your Senator and then send an email immediately: https://wyomingpromise.org/send-them-a-note/
- You can find their numbers and emails through the following link. It may be to your advantage to email or text them, but keep it short, “YES ON HJ0008” in the subject line: https://wyomingpromise.org/find-your-legislator
- Senate receptionist that will deliver messages while they are in session: 307-777-7711 – only M-F business hrs. THEY WILL SEND A NOTE DIRECTLY TO YOUR SENATOR, and this is a very influential method of communication. Voter hotline number not as effective as the previous number: 307 777-8683
- SHOW UP! We are confident that the heroic volunteers with Wyoming Promise buttons and tee shirts who sat all day and sent messages in the House gallery for third reading made a gigantic difference in the outcome. Showing up in person to the Jonah building during the session to send a note to your senator might be the single most persuasive action you can take. Again, we will be in touch when it comes to the committee hearing schedule, and will try to find lodging in Cheyenne for out of town volunteers. Please RSVP to this email if you are planning on coming from out of town.
We have crafted some new talking points to persuade our senators:
WP TALKING POINTS REGARDING HJ0008
If this passes Committee, we NEED TO CONTACT THE FOLLOWING SENATORS AND THANK THEM FOR THEIR PREVIOUS YES VOTES TO KEEP THEM ON BOARD FOR HJ0008:
Anderson, Anselmi, Gierau, Kost, Pappas, Rothfus, Von Flattern, Wasserburger, Coe
Thanks to all of you for your endurance and persistence moving forward. Let’s get this done!
– Ken Chestek, Wyoming Promise Chair
– Lynn Horton Morrison, Wyoming Promise Vice-Chair
– Shelby Shadwell, Wyoming Promise Treasurer